This is a perfect section for you if you are interested in enhancing your knowledge about Financial Matters. A few tips and tricks about Investing, Shares, Mutual Funds and Money Saving Schemes.

Your parents and in-laws can save you taxes

Might sound incredible to most readers but the fact is that your own parents as well as your own in-laws can become legal tools of tax planning for you and your family. If you want to achieve this dictum then all you are requested to do is just to give away a portion of your funds either as a gift or a loan to your parents as well as your in-laws so that in years to follow your income tax burden become light as the income on funds transferred by you to them which would bring in income would be taxed in their hands.

With the increase in the limit of exempted income for individuals, women tax payers and senior citizens, it is now a great time for having income tax files for all.

Separate income tax file for a daughter-in-law

Under Section 64 (1) (a) of the IT Act, if the father-in-law or mother-in-law makes any gift to his or her daughter-in-law, i.e., their son's wife, on or after 1 June 1973, the income arising to the daughter-in-law in respect of the gifts so made would be liable to be included in the total income of the father-in-law or the mother-in-law making the gift.

However, where such a daughter-in-law receives a gift not from her father-in-law or mother-in-law or her husband but from her father or mother or uncle or aunt or uncle-in-law, etc. then the income arising to such daughter-in-law in respect of such a gift would be liable to be assessed as the income of the daughter-in-law separately.

Such income would not be included in the total income of the father-in-law or the mother-in-law or the husband of such a lady.

Besides, if the daughter-in-law makes an investment of such gifted amount, the income arising to her out of such investment would also be liable to be assessed separately.

Similarly, if she were to join a partnership firm as a partner with the help of such gifted money, the interest arising to her would be assessable to tax in her separate assessment.

Such interest or salary as a working partner would not be liable to be included in the income of her husband or father-in-law or mother-in-law or any other relative. If she is a partner of any firm carrying on any business, her husband could also be a partner in the same firm.

Now, from assessment year 1993-94 her share income from the firm would not be clubbed with the income of the husband. This is illustrated in the following example.
Showing Page 3 of 4