This is a perfect section for you if you are interested in enhancing your knowledge about Financial Matters. A few tips and tricks about Investing, Shares, Mutual Funds and Money Saving Schemes.
Avail of cheaper credit than personal loans
Make free money from your credit card

When it comes to taking a loan, a credit card is the last thing on your mind. At 36-48% per annum, rolling over a credit card balance is the most expensive form of borrowing. But if you have been a good borrower and paid all your bills in time, your credit card can get you a loan that is cheaper than a personal loan.

“I got a loan against my credit card limit without any documentation and at an attractive rate of interest of 11%. If I had gone for a home loan, it would have cost me nearly the same,” says Delhi-based Satinder Sikri who availed a personal loan recently to meet the shortfall in the downpayment of his house. The math is simple.

A personal loan comes at a rate of almost 18%. The EMI for a Rs 1-lakh loan for a year works out to Rs 9,168. But if your repayment record is unblemished, you might get a loan against your credit card limit at 14% from the bank, where the EMI would be Rs 8,978, a saving of almost Rs 200 a month.

What’s more, these loans don’t require documentation and the money is in your bank account within 2-3 days. You can use such loans to consolidate and pay off high-cost debt on other credit cards.

The downside is that your credit limit comes down if you take a loan against it. More importantly, it is easy to fall into a debt trap if you blow away the easy cash on non-essential expenditure. So, go for a loan only if you really need the money and when you have exhausted other options.

Potential Gain: A Rs 1 lakh loan for a year on your card will be cheaper by almost Rs 200 a month.

You Get Rs 2,400 Free
ADVERTISEMENT