There are few things whose knowledge alone is very useful & helpful in our day-to-day life. This section is a collection of such knowledgeable articles. Do not miss this one.
19. Jamie Roberts plays on with skull fracture
Iconic Sportsmen Who Battled On in Serious Injuries
Wales and Lions centre Jamie Roberts achieved a rare feat in 2008 when a sickening clash of heads with Australia’s Stirling Mortlock brought a hush over the Millennium Stadium.

The 74,000 crowd held its breath as Roberts and Mortlock were helped off the field, looking in a bad way.

Yet, amazingly, the Welshman returned to play for a further 15 minutes, helping to create a try for Shane Williams in the Dragons’ 21-18 victory.

After that, he left the field and joined a dazed Mortlock in going to hospital where X-rays revealed Roberts had fractured his skull.

The injury kept him out of action for six weeks, but he was back for the 2009 Six Nations.

The then-medical student said afterwards: “I wasn’t unconscious at the time. I was feeling dizzy and knew I had taken a big bang.

“The world was just spinning for a second. I got to my feet and my head was hurting.

“I can remember the build-up to Shane’s try, but my head got worse after and I knew I had to go off.”
ADVERTISEMENT